How To Get More Gigs As A Guitarist
Posted: June 2nd, 2014 by Ashley Saunders
Just some more tips to help you get more gigs as a guitarist. A few weeks back I covered how to get more gigs for you band but this one is for you!
– Learn to play what the song needs not what your ego wants to.
– Learn the importance of not playing.
– Understand the role of dynamics in music.
– Become a team player, keep you ego in check and remember who you’re working for.
– Have a rig you can plug-in and play quickly and easily. This saves time and effort.
– Learn percussion and some basic keys or even take some singing lessons. This will help you get gigs where a band needs extra members for live gigs, but don’t just want a guitarist.
– Really learn the tunes. Know the songs inside out, make it seem that you’ve been playing them for years and year (even if you haven’t).
– Practice playing rhythm guitar more than solos. Every artist needs a solid guitarist with great time feel.
– Buy and Learn acoustic guitar. It’s different from electric but you’ll end up playing lots of cool, smaller gigs.
– Be easy to work with and on time (well, be early!).